King of Staten Island


So as much as I really don't watch movies, this was a good movie. Like I think I love all Judd Apatow movies because I think all of his popular ones were basically my childhood, such as like Superbad, 40 Year Old Virgin and the Anchorman stuff.

This movie felt really specifically personal and other times relatable to just any other person growing up and becoming their own person. Now I know this is the supposed reality of Pete Davidson if he didn't find SNL, comedy and stand up, but this movie The King of Staten Island kind of seemed more relatable movie to all the stuck in the middle people. The rebellion even reminded me of preteen angst. 

The movie was just about the family dynamic after a hardship. That is so relatable with the one parent/kids relationship with like divorce and fractured families. Kids can relate with the thinking that parents act selfishly breaking up a family and such. It kind of shown light on what the Staten Island experience would be like, so close to NYC but so far. I loved how it ended with going to Manhattan looking for opportunity and such. It kind of shows how people not only have the ability to move on after a tragedy but move forward from it as well.

Being a mid 20's person, growing up and going to NYC to get a dream job is basically what I want my life to be like. This movie kind of shows how just being stagnant and in that boring phase is tough but shows how going after and taking a leap can change things.

Totally brushing aside how amazing Bill Burr was and Maude Apatow were too....Great cast and maybe even could be a sequel type movie? It did sort of leave off open ended. I loved Pete Davidson from SNL just honestly at the beginning being the young guy in the hyper-competitive world of comedy. I feel like everyone mentioned will blow up in to different aspects of entertainment. Bill Burr definitely could do more acting roles or just be his stereotypical mass-hole persona. It's interesting listening to the promo interviews and podcasts from the cast giving their separate experience and prospective of the movie as well. Judd Apatow I thought gave Pete Davidson a great platform to tell his version of his life, and it definitely gave a peak into understand his story.



Comments

Popular Posts